A 6 Step Guide to making a claim against your Personal Accident and Sickness Insurance
Posted on 21st February 2017 by Diane Bradford, Claims Manager
As a freelancer or self-employed contractor being too ill to work or suffering an injury which prevents you from working can be a worrying time.
If you are unable to work you have no money coming in, but the bills still have to be paid. Personal Accident & Sickness insurance can at least give you peace of mind. We are here to help you through the process and your first port of call should you find yourself in this predicament.
Here are a few pointers to guide you
- If you are going to be unable to work for more than 7 days (or 14 days depending on the deferred period of your policy) call us, this will set the ball rolling and we can advise what your benefit is under the policy
- We will send you a claim form to fill in, a section of the form must be completed by your Doctor, in our experience GP’s take a few weeks to complete the form for you so you need to chase them up regularly
- Along with the claim form we will require proof of your earnings for the 12 month period before you were unable to work, this is so insurers can work out your average weekly earnings and calculate your benefit. If you can’t provide wage slips then the last submitted tax return is sufficient. We will also require copies of medical certificates your Doctor has issued confirming you are unfit for work. Medical certificates will be required for the full period you are unable to work.
- On receipt of the completed form, proof of earnings and medical certificate we will notify your insurers of your intention to claim
- Providing all is in order insurers will usually confirm the first payment in approximately 10 -14 days. Payment is made via BACS into your bank account
- Insurers will then endeavour to make payments monthly on or around the same date every month whilst you are unable to work
Here at Caunce O’Hara we want you to get the best possible advice and protection. If you need advice about arranging Personal Accident & Sickness cover don’t hesitate to give us a call.
If you have already arranged your cover and were wondering about making a claim, just call us on 0333 321 1403 and talk it through. We are here to help you.
Related Articles:Back to News