hero image

Gardeners Insurance

Tradesman insurance for self-employed gardeners

Start your quote
feefo logo
Trusted by over 23,000 clients for their business insurance
Quick and easy online cover for your profession
Rated 4.7 out of 5 by over 3,500 clients at feefo.com
gardener insurance intro image

As a gardener you create idyllic outdoor spaces for your clients. From simply mowing lawns, to treating turf for moss, from trimming hedges to creating rockeries, you take pride in your work and the opportunity to showcase your skills.

It’s important to ensure that your gardening business is covered so you can concentrate on the job you love, and carrying adequate insurance in case there is an accident or something doesn’t quite go as planned can provide you with that peace of mind and protection.

Start your quote

What is gardener insurance?

Gardener insurance offers protection for you and your business in the event that something goes wrong. Our insurance policies offer a range cover, protecting you, your gardening tools and equipment, and your customers and the public.

At Caunce O’Hara we can tailor your gardeners’ insurance to meet the needs of your business.


Why do gardeners need insurance?

Accidents occur, so it’s important to be prepared so you can reduce the potential impact on your business if a claim is made against you.

Examples of why gardeners need insurance can include:

  • You’re landscaping a customer’s garden and fitting a feature rockery. You drop a heavy stone on your foot and break it, which requires hospital treatment and a cast, rendering you unable to work for eight weeks. Personal accident insurance will cover you for the cost of the claim for loss of earnings.
  • You’re carrying long planks of wooden decking into your customer’s garden when you accidentally damage a fountain by knocking it over. The fountain needs replacing. Public liability insurance will cover you for the cost of the claim.


Why choose business insurance from Caunce O'Hara?

As trades insurance experts, we're your number one choice for your business protection.

gardener insurance media list image

Trusted by over 23,000 clients for their business insurance.


Immediate cover available, with documents issued via email in minutes!


Over 25 years’ experience of insuring self-employed professionals, including freelancers, contractors, and small business owners.

Golden star
I had spoken to Caunce O'Hara prior to the transaction and it all went smoothly for me. I have used them now for 12 years.
Trusted Customer
Golden star
Excellent Customer service and value for money. Best public liability, professional indemnity and employers liability insurance offer I’ve come across.
Trusted Customer
Golden star
Company insurances renewed for another year with Caunce O'Hara. No drama, issues or concerns.
Trusted Customer

Frequently asked questions about gardeners insurance

At Caunce O’Hara we offer the opportunity to customise your trades insurance to meet your needs, including:

Property damage – You accidentally damage a customer’s property (such as scratching a car) when carrying your equipment onto the premises requiring the damage to be repaired.

Injury to the general public – A passer-by sustains an injury when they trip over hedge cuttings that have been left on the pavement outside the premises.

Theft or damage to your tools and trade materials – Whilst gardening at a customer’s home, your van is broken into and essential tools are stolen.

Caunce O’Hara are experts for tradesman insurance. These are just a few of the reasons to choose us for your cover:

Quick online quotes

Complete our simple online quote form and get a quote in as little as 90 seconds.

Affordable protection

Our pricing is fully transparent, meaning you won’t be charged any hidden or unnecessary fees.

Platinum rated customer service

Customer service has always been at the top of Caunce O’Hara’s priorities, which is reflected in our positive Feefo feedback.

Over 25 years’ experience

We have been offering business insurance to self-employed professionals since 1995. As a result we understand the needs of self-employed business owners and contractors, which enables us to provide the cover you need.

The cost of an annual premium varies depending on your type of cover and the level of cover you need. Our trades public liability insurance for gardeners starts from £70.66 for £1million of annual cover, which we think represents real value for money.

* Price quoted is an annual figure, inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax at the current rate, and based on £1million public liability insurance, with 1 employee, 5+ years trading and no claims in the last 3 years.

As well as public liability insurance, we offer a range of insurance covers for your individual circumstances, including:

  • Personal accident insurance – covers you for accidents sustained in the course of your work and can pay a lump sum or regular payments to cover loss of earnings.
  • Employers’ liability insurance (EL) – is a legal requirement if you employ staff, with a minimum of £5 million of cover to protect your employees.
  • Tools insurance – available with our public liability insurance policy, provides cover from £1,000 to £5,000 for the replacement of your lost, damaged or stolen tools.
  • Good in transit insurance – provides cover for your goods against theft, loss or damage while they are being transported in your own vehicle, or on your behalf by a third-party carrier. The policy can cover theft of items whilst in transit; damage caused by an accident during transit; loss of items during transit; and damage caused to items during transit.
  • Plant insurance (PI) – we offer cover for both hired-in and owned plant equipment. Plant insurance can cover the costs incurred for ongoing lease hire for hired-in plant while the hired plant is being replaced, recovered or repaired, and can cover the cost of repairing or replacing owned plant following theft, loss or damage (accidental or malicious) to your equipment.
  • Contract works insurance – cover for costs incurred in having to re-do work that is part of a contract, including the cost of the tools, materials and the labour, should the existing work be destroyed by fire, flood, or theft.
  • Professional indemnity insurance (PI) – covers professionals who give advice, provide designs or other professional services to customers and covers allegations of negligent work.

The excess is the amount you pay towards a claim you make on your insurance policy. For example, if you make a claim for £1,000 for stolen tools and your excess is £200, then your payout will be £800.

Insurance policyLowest excessHighest excess
Public liability insurance£250£250
Employers’ liability insurance£0£0
Tools & trade materials cover (can only be purchased with the public liability policy)£250£250
Personal accident insurance£0£0
Professional indemnity insurance£250£500

Please note the figures shown are for illustrative purposes only and any excess applied to your quote may differ.

Contact us

Call 0333 321 1403

Our understanding of the freelance sector and the challenges you face daily, enables us to tailor our insurance products to meet your needs. Contact us to talk about your insurance requirements and to better understand the insurance we offer.

Get in touch
Contact Caunce O'Hara for your business insurance today