hero image

Groundworker Insurance

Specialist insurance for professional groundworks contractors.

Start your quote
feefo logo

Cover for your business, staff, tools and equipment

Quick online quotes in less than 90 seconds

Rated 4.7 out of 5 by our customers on Feefo

groundworker insurance intro image

A groundworks contractor is a construction professional who prepares the ground ready for building work to begin. The very nature of their role means they are typically one of the first contractors on-site.

Key parts of a groundworkers role includes installing drainage systems, concreting, de-vegetation of overgrown areas, and being able to interpret designs and plans so as to prepare the ground correctly.

Groundworks contractors will often be on-site throughout a building project and will finish off the ground after the build has completed, by installing driveways and footpaths.

Start your quote

What is groundworks contractor insurance?

Our tradesman insurance for groundworkers is a range of different policies – led by public liability insurance –  that offers protection for you and your business from compensation claims due to accidents and injury to members of the public, or due to accidental damage to property.

We offer two levels of cover for depths of 1 metre and 2 metres.


Why do groundworkers need insurance?

As a groundworks contractor, you work at client’s homes or on constructions sites. Each of which exposes you to members of the public, such as your client and other contractors. As a result, the trenches and other groundwork you undertake can become a liability for them, which is why you could benefit from our tradesman insurance.

Examples of why groundworkers could need insurance include:

  • If you have an accidents at work it can result in you needing to take time off, having to reschedule jobs, and reduced income as a result. Personal accident insurance can help cover your loss of earnings if you are sidelined as a result of an injury or illness caused by your work.
  • By their very nature, trenches are a serious hazard to other people. If another contractor falls in a trench and injures themselves, they could make a claim against you.

Why choose Caunce O'Hara for your insurance?

As trades insurance experts, we're your number one choice for your business protection.

groundworker insurance media list image

Trusted by over 23,000 clients for their business insurance.


Immediate cover available, with documents issued via email in minutes!


Over 25 years’ experience of insuring self-employed professionals, including freelancers, contractors, and small business owners.

Golden star
I had spoken to Caunce O'Hara prior to the transaction and it all went smoothly for me. I have used them now for 12 years.
Trusted Customer
Golden star
Excellent Customer service and value for money. Best public liability, professional indemnity and employers liability insurance offer I’ve come across.
Trusted Customer
Golden star
Company insurances renewed for another year with Caunce O'Hara. No drama, issues or concerns.
Trusted Customer

Frequently asked questions about groundworker insurance

At Caunce O’Hara we offer the opportunity to tailor your insurance to meet your needs, including:

Alleged responsibility for an accident to the member of the public – If someone has an accident that you are alleged to have caused, such as someone falls in a trench that is not properly signposted, then you could face a compensation claim. Public liability insurance will cover your legal fees and compensations claims..

Personal injury – Working with cutting tools, plant machinery, trenches and heavy construction materials can pose a health and accident risk. Personal accident insurance offers cover for your loss of earnings.

Theft or damage to your tools and trade materials – Your essential tools, equipment or materials are stolen from your work van. Tools insurance can help get you back on track with a minimum of fuss.

Caunce O’Hara are experts for tradesman insurance. These are just a few of the reasons to choose us for your cover:

Quick online quotes

Complete our simple online quote form and get a quote in as little as 90 seconds.

Affordable protection

Our pricing is fully transparent, meaning you won’t be charged any hidden or unnecessary fees.

Platinum rated customer service

Customer service has always been at the top of Caunce O’Hara’s priorities, which is reflected in our positive Feefo feedback.

Over 25 years’ experience

We have been offering business insurance to self-employed professionals since 1995. As a result we understand the needs of self-employed business owners and contractors, which enables us to provide the cover you need.

The cost of an annual premium varies depending on your type of cover and the level of cover you need. Our public liability insurance for caretakers starts from £150.75* for £1million of annual cover, which we think represents real value for money.

* Price quoted is inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax at the current rate, and based on a domestic/small commercial air conditioning installer with 1 employee, 5+ years trading and no claims in the last 3 years.

As well as public liability insurance, we offer a range of insurance covers for your individual circumstances, including:

  • Personal accident insurance – covers you for accidents sustained in the course of your work and can pay a lump sum or regular payments to cover loss of earnings.
  • Employers’ liability insurance (EL) – is a legal requirement if you employ staff, with a minimum of £5 million of cover to protect your employees.
  • Tools insurance – available with our public liability insurance policy, provides cover from £1,000 to £5,000 for the replacement of your lost, damaged or stolen tools.
  • Good in transit insurance – provides cover for your goods against theft, loss or damage while they are being transported in your own vehicle, or on your behalf by a third-party carrier. The policy can cover theft of items whilst in transit; damage caused by an accident during transit; loss of items during transit; and damage caused to items during transit.
  • Plant insurance (PI) – we offer cover for both hired-in and owned plant equipment. Plant insurance can cover the costs incurred for ongoing lease hire for hired-in plant while the hired plant is being replaced, recovered or repaired, and can cover the cost of repairing or replacing owned plant following theft, loss or damage (accidental or malicious) to your equipment.
  • Contract works insurance – cover for costs incurred in having to re-do work that is part of a contract, including the cost of the tools, materials and the labour, should the existing work be destroyed by fire, flood, or theft.
  • Professional indemnity insurance (PI) – covers professionals who give advice, provide designs or other professional services to customers and covers allegations of negligent work.

The excess is the amount you pay towards a claim you make on your insurance policy. For example, if you make a claim for £1,000 for stolen tools and your excess is £200, then your payout will be £800.

Insurance policyLowest excessHighest excess
Public liability insurance£250£250
Employers’ liability insurance£0£0
Tools & trade materials cover (can only be purchased with the public liability policy)£250£250
Personal accident insurance£0£0
Professional indemnity insurance£250£500

Please note the figures shown are for illustrative purposes only and any excess applied to your quote may differ, or affect the price.

Contact us

Call 0333 321 1403

Our understanding of the freelance sector and the challenges you face daily, enables us to tailor our insurance products to meet your needs. Contact us to talk about your insurance requirements and to better understand the insurance we offer.

Get in touch
Contact Caunce O'Hara for your business insurance today