hero image

Painters and Decorators Insurance

Tailored business insurance for painters and decorators from only £8.83 a month

Start your quote
feefo logo

Cover for your business, staff, tools and equipment

Quick online quotes in less than 90 seconds

Rated 4.7 out of 5 by our customers on Feefo

painters and decorators insurance intro image

Caunce O’Hara tradesman insurance provides comprehensive cover for a range of risks faced by painters and decorators and will respond to cover the cost of mistakes and accidents.

Painting and decorating puts the finishing touches to a new build, renovation, or even a simple revamp to brighten up a room or office. Therefore, it is important for the finish to be near perfect, because it’s the first thing people see and mistakes or sloppy work will be noticed straightaway. Our trades insurance will protect you in the event of a claim so you can focus on making sure the finish is smooth as silk.

What is painters and decorators insurance?

Public liability insurance is the most commonly type of protection by tradespeople. Our tradesman public liability insurance for will cover you if someone experiences an injury or property damage as a result of your painting and decorating business.

The policy will cover you for claims such as:

  • Accidents that occur in the course of your decorating work or your employee’s decorating work. (Note: if you employ staff you are legally required to hold employers’ liability insurance).
  • Damage caused by you or an employee to someone else’s property.
  • Injury caused to someone else by you or an employee.

We also offer a range of other trades covers to protect painters and decorators, which allow you to tailor a package trades insurance policies that will fully protect your business, your staff and your equipment.

Why do painters and decorators need insurance?

Accidents occur in everyday life, and things can also go wrong due to something that‘s beyond your control, so it’s important to ensure you’re prepared to reduce the impact on your business with our painter’s and decorator’s insurance.

Examples of why plasters need insurance can include:

  • You’re painting a customer’s living room and your apprentice has covered the carpets but has missed covering a few areas. As a result, paint spots damage the carpet beneath. The customer claims against you for the cost of cleaning the carpet. In this instance, public liability insurance will cover you for the cost of the claim.
  • Your apprentice is stood on a step ladders painting the coving. They lose their balance and fall, injuring their wrist in the process of breaking their fall. Employers’ liability insurance or personal accident insurance will cover a claim to cover their loss of earnings whilst they are unable to work.

Why choose Caunce O'Hara for your painters and decorators insurance?

As trades insurance experts, we're your number one choice for your business protection.

Painters and decorators insurance media list image

Trusted by over 23,000 clients for their business insurance.


Immediate cover available, with documents issued via email in minutes!


Over 25 years’ experience of insuring self-employed professionals, including freelancers, contractors, and small business owners.

Golden star
I had spoken to Caunce O'Hara prior to the transaction and it all went smoothly for me. I have used them now for 12 years.
Trusted Customer
Golden star
Excellent Customer service and value for money. Best public liability, professional indemnity and employers liability insurance offer I’ve come across.
Trusted Customer
Golden star
Company insurances renewed for another year with Caunce O'Hara. No drama, issues or concerns.
Trusted Customer

Frequently asked questions about painters and decorators insurance

At Caunce O’Hara we give you the opportunity to customise your insurance to meet your own needs, such as:

Third-party injury – A customer sustains an injury when they trip over a poorly secured groundsheet that you have laid down to protect the floor beneath.

Property damage – Whilst decorating a client’s home you spill paint on a carpet which means it needs to be replaced.

Negligent work – You are asked to hang expensive patterned wallpaper for a customer. Because of the way the pattern work there is a lot of wastage when lining up each strip of wallpaper. As a result, there isn’t enough wallpaper to complete the room and more needs to be ordered at significant expense. Your client alleges negligence in your estimations and costings.

Theft or damage to tools and trade materials – Whilst decorating a customer’s home, your van is broken into and some tools and equipment are stolen.

If you just want public liability insurance for potential third-party accidents or property damage, that’s fine. If you want cover for other incidents such as protection for your employees, work accidents, or negligence claims then we can help you with that too. We have a range of covers to suit most trades-specific needs.

Caunce O’Hara are specialists for trades insurance. These are just a few of the reasons to choose us for your cover:

Quick online quotes

By completing our simple online quote form you can get a quote in as little as 90 seconds.

Affordable protection

We have always strived to provide value for money for our clients. Our pricing is fully transparent, meaning you won’t be charged any hidden or unnecessary fees.

Platinum rated customer service

Looking after our customers has always been at the top of Caunce O’Hara’s priorities, which is reflected in our positive Feefo feedback.

Over 25 years’ experience

We have been offering business insurance to self-employed professionals since 1995. As a result we understand the needs of self-employed business owners and freelance contractors, which enables us to provide the cover you need.

The cost of an annual premium varies depending on your type of cover and the level of cover you need. Our trades public liability insurance for painters and decorators starts from as little as £106.00 for £1million of annual cover, which we think represents value for money.

As well as public liability insurance, we offer a range of insurance covers for your individual circumstances, including:

  • Personal accident insurance – covers you for accidents sustained in the course of your work and can pay a lump sum or regular payments to cover loss of earnings.
  • Employers’ liability insurance (EL) – is a legal requirement if you employ staff, with a minimum of £5 million of cover to protect your employees.
  • Tools insurance – available with our public liability insurance policy, provides cover from £1,000 to £5,000 for the replacement of your lost, damaged or stolen tools.
  • Good in transit insurance – provides cover for your goods against theft, loss or damage while they are being transported in your own vehicle, or on your behalf by a third-party carrier. The policy can cover theft of items whilst in transit; damage caused by an accident during transit; loss of items during transit; and damage caused to items during transit.
  • Plant insurance (PI) – we offer cover for both hired-in and owned plant equipment. Plant insurance can cover the costs incurred for ongoing lease hire for hired-in plant while the hired plant is being replaced, recovered or repaired, and can cover the cost of repairing or replacing owned plant following theft, loss or damage (accidental or malicious) to your equipment.
  • Contract works insurance – cover for costs incurred in having to re-do work that is part of a contract, including the cost of the tools, materials and the labour, should the existing work be destroyed by fire, flood, or theft.
  • Professional indemnity insurance (PI) – covers professionals who give advice, provide designs or other professional services to customers and covers allegations of negligent work.

The excess is the amount you pay towards a claim you make on your insurance policy. For example, if you make a claim for £1,000 for stolen tools and your excess is £200, then your payout will be £800.

Insurance policyLowest excessHighest excess
Public liability insurance£250£250
Employers’ liability insurance£0£0
Tools & trade materials cover (can only be purchased with the public liability policy)£250£250
Personal accident insurance£0£0
Professional indemnity insurance£250£500

Please note the figures shown are for illustrative purposes only and any excess applied to your quote may differ.

Contact us

Call 0333 321 1403

Our understanding of the freelance sector and the challenges you face daily, enables us to tailor our insurance products to meet your needs. Contact us to talk about your insurance requirements and to better understand the insurance we offer.

Get in touch
Contact Caunce O'Hara for your business insurance today