Caunce O’Hara offer a range of business liability insurance policies, including, employers liability cover and public/products liability insurance.
Public Liability (PL Insurance) covers you for the cost of a public liability claim from a third party, such as a member of the public (not an employee), that has suffered injury (or death) or property damage caused by you or your employees in the course of your business activities.
It can cover legal costs for defending claims and pay compensation awarded to a claimant if your business is found to be at fault, providing you with peace of mind that your business will be covered.
Example 1) If you visit client premises in the course of your work and accidentally spill coffee on their computer, they could seek compensation for the cost of repairs.
Example 2) If a visitor to your business premises trips on stairs due to a loose mat and suffers injury. Public liability insurance will then protect you for the cost of any damages claimed and legal costs for such a claim.
What does Public Liability Insurance cover?
- Legal expenses – Should a claim be made against you, cover will be provided to help with the cost of legal proceedings.
- Cost of repairs – The cost of repairing damage to the claimant’s property, such as accidentally knocking over and breaking a valuable ornament in their offices during a meeting, or a plumber causing a leak/flood to a customer’s premises and damaging carpets as a result.
- Medical fees – The cost of hospital treatment, including ambulance call-out, if a claim is made against you for these.
- Compensation claims – Injury to third parties or damage to their property if an accident occurs on your business premises, a client’s premises or elsewhere.
Employers’ Liability (EL Insurance) is a business insurance policy that covers the cost of defending or settling a claim against you from an employee who has suffered injury or disease as a result of the work they do for you.
Cover can include medical costs, legal costs, and loss of incomes, as well as any other damages.
This could be an employee falling off a ladder who hasn’t received the correct training. It could also be an employee working on a production line for hours without a break. The employee may suffer a repetitive strain injury as a result.
If a former employee starts to show symptoms that have been the result of the work they performed for your business, this may also be covered. You should check your policy documents carefully to confirm this.
It is a legal requirement that this cover is purchased if you have one or more employees. The legal minimum of cover is £5,000,000.
Caunce O’Hara provide £10,000,000 cover as standard.
Who needs Employers’ Liability insurance?
Employers Liability cover is required by law for most businesses. You will need it if:
- If you deduct Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions from the money you pay your employees.
- You have control over where and when your employees work.
- You have the right to claim profit made by your employees.
- You provide the equipment and materials your employees use.
- You need them to perform the job you employ them for and if the employee is unable to provide a substitute if they are unable to work.
- You have part-time or temporary employees.
Are there any exemptions from Employers’ Liability insurance?
Employers Liability cover is not usually required if:
- You are a limited company with only one person employed and that person owns more than 50% of the share capital.
- You are a sole trader (not a limited company) who is the principal of the business.
- You work in a Partnership where the directors are equal partners and do not employ any staff.
- You are a company where all of the employees are direct family members.
Our business insurance policies include:
- Professional Indemnity insurance
- Public Liability Insurance
- Employers Liability Insurance
- Tax Enquiry and Legal Expenses Cover
- IR35 Contract Reviews
- Personal accident insurance
- Directors & officers insurance
- Portable equipment insurance
- Combined Business Liabilities Insurance – call 0333 321 1403 for details
Call one of our award-winning team today on 0333 321 1403 for a quotation and to discuss your business insurance needs or click to get a quick online quote in minutes!